Thursday, February 27, 2014

Green Excitement

I am weird.  I know this.  I dont mind this either.  I am one of those people that get excited over the smallest and oddest things.  I love to see new things emerge and things grow and new life, in all forms.  So, as with every year, I started some seeds.  In years past I didnt have my green house so inevitably, my house was too small for all I would start and half would die from lack of light.  Just the way it is.  Well, this year, I have my greenhouse.  For the most part, it has worked well.  There are kinks I need to work out for next winter, but for the big reason, starting plants to be ready to plant in May, it is working great.  A week ago I started another batch.  My first batch is now almost a month old and doing very well, the more cold hardy things like peas, lettuce, and onions.  This batch though was pumpkin, cucumber, beans, and carrots.  Everyday, I go in to water the older plants and check the seeds to see if anything sprouted.  It is like a kid at a birthday party.  Awaiting the gifts so you can open them.  I love to go in and see a tiny sprout barely out of the ground.  Well, in this case, barely out of the soil in the packets.  Today, this is what I found when I went in.


Cucumber Sprout


Cucumber Sprout


Pumpkin Sprout


My Blueberry Bushes!  


Another Blueberry Bush.


This is buds on my largest Blueberry Plant


Carrot Sprout.


The same carrot sprout.  Just looks cool.


Pea leaf.


Tomatoes, Corn, and Dill.


These are the one month old variable plants.


Tomato.


Tomato.


Dill.


Basil.


Basil.


Pea plants and green onion.


In the front is pea plants and garlic.  The pot in the back (right) is a normal yellow onion I bought from the store that started to sprout.  So I planted it.


Buds on my chives.


Another bud on the chives.


Thyme sprout.


And this is my perpetual helper.  She has to be in the greenhouse when ever I am.  This is Tink.

At least I love a simple life.  I cant wait to taste some of the veggies of my labor lol.  I really do enjoy seeing this and knowing that I am helping to nurture it along.  I just hope that I can pass on this love of growth and transformation to my children.  They love to go and pick the veggies and eat them off the plant, so maybe that will be enough to start a seed in their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment